Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Run Moms Run!

So, here it is ladies ... the first of hopefully many posts.  My goal is to encourage all of you moms out there (myself included) to run.  Run for fun, run for health, run for sanity, whatever.  Just throw on your kicks and go.  

I started running in January 2012 to get healthy after pregnancy.  Severe preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome had knocked me for a loop and I needed to get my groove back.  At first, I could barely walk around the block because of lower back pain and a sore "undercarriage".  My blood pressure was still high weeks after the birth and I wanted to lose the forty pounds I gained while pregnant.  So, I registered for a local 5K race after my doc cleared me for exercise.  I promised myself a pedicure if I could just finish the race (I had to run the whole thing, no matter how slowly).  At first, it was tough hauling myself onto the treadmill.  I, like all new moms, was suffering from sleep deprivation and still adjusting to being a new mom (maybe more on that subject in a later post).  It was also winter - ugh!  But, with the endless support of my hubby, I ran ... and I ran the entire race.  So, I earned my pedicure and I became a runner along the way.  

I'm not competitive, I'm not fast, I don't log lots of miles per week.  But who cares?  I'm a mom who runs.   

No comments:

Post a Comment